Pages

Labels

England career all but over - Rio


Rio Ferdinand fears his international career has come to an end.


The Manchester United centre-back, 33, was overlooked for Euro 2012 by England manager Roy Hodgson, and he told The Sun:  "You would have to say it might be over with England for me."


While saying he would never retire from international football, he added: "If I'm not getting picked now, especially when people are out injured, then it's unlikely I will be picked again."


Ferdinand has won 81 caps since 1997.



Rio Ferdinand career



  • West Ham (1995-2000) 127 league apps, 2 goals

  • Bournemouth (1996-97 loan) 10 league apps

  • Leeds (2000-02) 54 league apps, 2 goals

  • Man Utd (2002-) 270 league apps, 6 goals

  • England (1997-2011) 81 caps, 3 goals

Hodgson's decision to leave the former West Ham and Leeds defender out of his original 23-man squad surprised many observers.


When Gary Cahill withdrew from the squad there were calls for Ferdinand to be called up as a replacement, but Hodgson instead chose the rookie Liverpool defender Martin Kelly.


Some questioned whether the decision may have been related to Ferdinand's strained relationship with John Terry.


The Chelsea defender and former England captain will stand trial next month accused of racially abusing Ferdinand's brother Anton during a Premier League match last season.


Terry denies the charge.


Hodgson is adamant his decision to omit Rio Ferdinand was purely a "footballing" one and not related to any off-field issues. Football Association chairman David Bernstein has appealed to the media to focus only on those who have made the squad.


With the former West Brom coach at the start of a four-year contract, Ferdinand accepts his he unlikely to achieve his ambition of making a century of England appearances.


But he added: "I always said I wouldn't retire from international football until I stopped playing and I won't. I will still be available."



Did You Know?



  • Rio Ferdinand has been named in four World Cup squads for England, but has never played in the European Championships

"I really hoped that I would get 100 caps - but for various reasons it hasn't happened."


"Of course I was upset not to be in the squad. That's a perfectly natural reaction.


"I love being involved in football at the very top. I won't discuss what Mr Hodgson has said to me but he knows I wanted to be in the squad.


"It's a disappointment but it just shows you can never take anything for granted in football.


"If you aren't disappointed by being left at home when your country is playing in tournaments like this then there's a problem and you shouldn't be in professional football.


"I'm in this game to achieve as much as I can. I'm paid to win and be a sore loser. I want to play in the big games and win big trophies. If that's a crime then I'm a criminal."


A variety of fitness problems have kept Ferdinand out of most England squads over the last two years but, after a strong run-in with Manchester United, he felt perfectly fit to take on tournament football this summer.


"I might have had a few injury problems in the past but I was in good shape," he said. "I played all our games in the run-in, the manager was happy with me, and I was feeling really good. You can't ask for any more."




View the original article here